The Major Milestones
in the Golden State Buyout
The Golden State court case* is now behind us, and the following major milestones now remain. When we made this list, we purposely didn’t include dates, because stuff does happen. But we’ll keep updating the list to show where we are. Our current best guess is that Golden State will be out of Ojai by October 1, 2017. Then what a grand celebration we’ll have!
- Appraisal is made. ☑ Submitted to Casitas Board on Feb 24, 2016
- Casitas Board decides how much to offer. ☑ Casitas Board has closed door session, reviews the appraisal, and votes 5/0 to make an offer.
- Casitas makes an offer to buy Golden State operations in Ojai.
☑ On February 26, 2016 an offer is made for $23 million + up to $2.5 million in uncollected WRAM charges.
- Golden State says yes or no. ☑ On March 8th Golden State says they are not for sale and don’t want to negotiate.
- Negotiations likely to occur. ☑ Nope, Golden States refused to negotiate.
- If Golden State says no:
- Casitas Board holds a hearing to decide/approve the use of eminent domain. ☑ The Casitas board voted unanimously at their March 23, 2016 board meeting to hold a public hearing and vote whether or not to move forward with the eminent domain process to acquire Golden State Water operations in Ojai as Golden State had agreed to in Section 3 of the Franchise Agreement with the City of Ojai
After taking input for the public as well as Golden State at a special public hearing on April 13, 2016, the Casitas board voted unanimously to move forward with the eminent domain process to acquire Golden State Water operations in Ojai. Here is the Notice of Resolution and Golden State’s reply.
- Casitas files the court case. ☑ On May 12, 2016 Casitas filed the case PLUS filed a claim for damages because of Golden State’s previous court actions. On July 5, 2016 Golden State files 1) their response, 2) Request for Special Motion to Strike, 3) David Moran notice of support to strike.
For the latest up-to-date information visit ventura.courts.ca.gov/CivilCaseSearch, enter 2016-00481628. Our full case number is 56-2016-00481628-CU-EI-VTA and the assigned judge is Vincent O'Neill. Trial is currently scheduled to start on 10/7/2016 but we have been told this really will not be the final the trial date. There is a short motion date set for August 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM in Department 41.
- Right to take trial occurs.
- If that comes out in favor of Casitas, a valuation trial follows.
- If the cost to buy Golden State comes out as planned in budget, go to #8.
- If Golden State says yes: Go to #8.
- Casitas issues bonds, and the Casitas Mutual Water District purchase of the Golden State Water Company operations in Ojai takes place—estimated before October 1, 2017.
* In July 2015, the California Supreme Court refused to hear Golden State’s appeal of the appellate court decision regarding the use by Casitas of Mello-Roos bonds to fund the buyout of Golden State Water operations in Ojai. This was nearly two years after the landslide (87% in favor) August 20, 2013, election to buy out Golden State operations in Ojai. This delay has already cost the Ojai ratepayers more than $6.5 million dollars, because they have yet to be billed at the lower Casitas water rates they voted for. To recoup that loss, Ojai FLOW has filed a class action suit on behalf of all Ojai Golden State ratepayers. That case will go to trial when all losses have been counted, after the final takeover of Golden State.
Don’t fool around with Ojai,
FAREWELL GOLDEN STATE!
We went over the top, with 87.4% voting Yes.
This is unheard of and we should all be proud to be part of such a united community. This election will go down in history and used to show that people
can control their destiny.
FINAL VOTE COUNT:
Total Registration = 4,796
Total Ballots Cast= 2,464 (51.3%)
Yes Votes = 2,154 (87.4%)
NO Votes= 310 (12.6%)
Overseeing the Vote count on election night.
August 13, 2013
Left, Pat McPherson (Ojai FLOW Chair) – Steve Wickstrum (Casitas Gen. Mgr.) –
Russ Baggerly (Casitas Board member for Ojai)
THANK YOU OJAI.